English verb be [bi:].
Relate to: irregular verbs.
3 forms of verb be: Infinitive (be), Past Simple - (was), Past Participle - (been).
Forms of verb be in past tenses
👉 Forms of verb be in future and past simple and past participle.
❓ What is the past tense of be.
Three forms of verb be
|Base Form||Past Simple||Past Participle|
What is 2nd and 3rd form of be?
🎓 Base Form (Infinitive) be in Past Simple, Future Simple, Present Perfect, Past Perfect, Future Perfect?
- First form (V1) - be. (Present simple, Future Simple)
- Second form (V2) - was, were. (Past simple)
- Third form (V3) - been. (Present perfect, Past perfect)
What are the past tense and past participle of be?
The past tense of be is: be in past simple is was, were. and past participle is been.
What is the past tense of be?
The past tense of be is was or
The past participle of be is been.
Past simple — be in past simple was,
Future simple — be in future simple be. (will + V1)
Present Perfect — be in present perfect tense been. (have\has + V3)
Past Perfect — be in past perfect tense been. (had + V3)
be regular or irregular verb?
👉 Is be an irregular verb?? be is irregular verb.
Examples of Verb be in Sentences
- Is he your friend? (Present Simple)
- I am on a business trip, can you call me later? (Present Simple)
- We are in the theatre, so behave yourself! (Present Simple)
- What are you drinking tonight? (Present Continuous)
- Be my wife, and I will make you happy (Present Simple)
- Were you at home yesterday night? (Past Simple)
- No, I wasn't at home, I was on a date (Past Simple)
- She was very sad, so I decided to tell a joke (Past Simple)
- I have never been to the seaside (Present Perfect)
- Have you ever been ashamed? (Present Perfect)
- Will you be my maid of honour? (Future Simple)