The English verb 'adopt' is pronounced as [əˈdɒpt].
Related to: regular verbs.
3 forms of verb adopt: Infinitive (adopt), Past Simple - (adopted), Past Participle - (adopted).
Here are the past tense forms of the verb adopt
👉 Forms of verb adopt in future and past simple and past participle.
❓ What is the past tense of adopt.
Adopt: Past, Present, and Participle Forms
|Base Form||Past Simple||Past Participle|
What are the 2nd and 3rd forms of the verb adopt?
🎓 What are the past simple, future simple, present perfect, past perfect, and future perfect forms of the base form (infinitive) 'adopt'?
Learn the three forms of the English verb 'adopt'
- the first form (V1) is 'adopt' used in present simple and future simple tenses.
- the second form (V2) is 'adopted' used in past simple tense.
- the third form (V3) is 'adopted' used in present perfect and past perfect tenses.
What are the past tense and past participle of adopt?
The past tense and past participle of adopt are: adopt in past simple is adopted, and past participle is adopted.
What is the past tense of adopt?
The past tense of the verb "adopt" is "adopted", and the past participle is "adopted".
Past simple — adopt in past simple adopted
Future simple — adopt in future simple is adopt (will + V1).
Present Perfect — adopt in present perfect tense is adopted (have/has + V3).
Past Perfect — adopt in past perfect tense is adopted (had + V3).
adopt regular or irregular verb?
👉 Is 'adopt' a regular or irregular verb? The verb 'adopt' is regular verb.
Examples of Verb adopt in Sentences
- I know a very good couple from America who wants to adopt you (Present Simple)
- A young couple has adopted a seven-year-old girl from Uganda (Present Perfect)
- I heard that Angelina Jolie had adopted another child (Past Perfect)
- We are adopting new measures to support citizens and businesses during the coronavirus pandemic (Present Continuous)
- We will be happy to adopt students from developing countries and to grant scholarships (Future Simple)
- We adopt you to be our speaker at the graduation ceremony (Present Simple)
- She was adopted to the position of headteacher (Past Simple)
- The government should adopt bio-medical waste treatment rules and to appoint responsible authorities for the implementation (Present Simple)
- They demand to adopt a moratorium on deforestation and timber export from Russia (Present Simple)
- Our university hopes that more universities and other educational facilities will adopt this practice (Future Simple)